• DO fill this form out at least two weeks in advance of your travel. Contact the Business Office if not possible.
  • DON’T make non-cancelable arrangements for travel and hotel without receiving approval via this form.

STEP 1: Determine the following:

  • I am an employee being reassigned duty for a meeting, conference, or extracurricular event. Complete the Reassignment of Duty Approval Form.
  • I am a teacher and I am attending a meeting, conference, or extracurricular event with other teachers and no expenses will occur. Complete Substitute Reservation form ONLY.

STEP 2: Fill out the name section with your legal first and last name. Complete position and building name.

STEP 3: If this is federally related travel, check the federal box located in the upper right hand corner of the form.

STEP 4: Complete the Conference/Meeting Information section to include the location, dates and time.

  • Only complete the Travel dates/times if different than Conference/Meeting dates/times. This will usually be when your meeting is outside of Great Falls. Be sure to include the date/ time you leave Great Falls and the date/time you return to Great Falls. For example, if your plane leaves at 6:00 am on May 25, you would indicate the Travel start time as 5/25/20xx, 5:00 am (or whatever time you have to be at the airport).

STEP 5: Complete the Reason for Travel section.

CD Curriculum Development– Use when traveling to District curriculum development meetings. The Director of Curriculum and Instruction will usually be involved in the scheduling of this travel.
EC Extra-Curricular– Use when traveling to extra-curricular activities such as athletics, music festivals, speech meets, etc.
SB School Business– Use when traveling due to a District sponsored activity that is not CD, EC or SD.
Meeting examples: RtI Team, School Improvement Team, some District committees, state board meetings where the employee represents the District, etc.
SD Staff Development- Use when traveling to activities that further your knowledge for your job.

STEP 6: Complete the Reimbursement to District section, if applicable. For example, if OPI is reimbursing the District for your substitute or for your travel expenses, you would complete this section.

STEP 7: Complete the Expenses section except for the Budget Code section.

  • Transportation
    • Car mileage: as per District mileage chart (Also located on the Business Webpage). Mark “No” under credit card.
    • Airfare: indicate anticipated airfare price including applicable taxes. Luggage charges go under “Other” below. Do not make airline reservations on your personal credit card. Contact your supervisor to arrange for airfare payment. Keep all receipts.
    • Taxis and shuttles: Include under “Other” below.
  • Lodging
    • Indicate lodging costs plus tax, if possible. Do not make non-refundable lodging reservations prior to approval.
    • Lodging payments can be made in these ways:
      • In your travel advance. Check “No” under “District Credit Card” column and you will receive the amount in the advance check. You can pay the amount via your personal credit card, your personal check or by cash. This will be recapped on the Travel Expense Report. Keep all receipts when you travel.
      • On a District purchase order. This option should only be used when traveling with a large group of students and prior arrangements have been made between the Business Office and the hotel regarding the acceptance of purchase orders.
      • On a District credit card. Indicate “Yes” in the “District Credit Card” column and identify the department card holder.
  • Per Diem Rates vary depending on destination . See below. For help, see your school secretary or call 268-6065.
    • Step 1: Go to website:
      • This page gives you a chart for meal rates for various destinations. You will need to come back to this page, after finding the rate for your destination, to determine the per meal allocation.
    • Step 2: Click on the blue “per diem rate” link on the left side column, bottom. Click on the state where you are traveling to.
    • Step 3: Search for your primary destination. If it is there, find the meal rate column on the right. The number in that column becomes the daily per diem amount allowed for the destination. If the destination is not there, please consult the Standard Rate in the top row of the chart.
    • Step 4: Click the browser back button twice to return to the original screen.
    • Step 5: Find the M&IE for your destination or the rate indicated in the top row of the chart. Use the table to determine meal allocations for your destination. GFPS does not pay the incidental fee or the partial day allocation.

No meal allowance will be granted for meals provided for through transportation, lodging or registration costs. The District pays flat rates so no receipts for meals are required.

  • Registration Indicate what the conference or meeting registration fee is, if any. Registration fees are paid via District credit cards or requisitions only. Once your travel is approved, initiate the payment process via requisition completion or on-line with a District departmental credit card.
  • Other Indicate these types of expenses: baggage, taxi, shuttle, public transportation, and any other expenses not delineated above. Keep all receipts as they are required to complete the Travel Expense Report.

STEP 8: Sign, date and forward to your principal/supervisor. The principal/supervisor should sign and indicate codes and then forward as appropriate. Once your travel request is approved, finalize your travel arrangements.