Happy 130th Birthday, Great Falls Public Schools! Isn’t it an amazing feeling to be a part of such an enduring and important enterprise? Its history is rich with amazing achievements. There is no doubt its future will be as well.
The 2018-2019 school year is off to an amazing start beginning with Convocation! Five outstanding humans stood before us with the sole purpose being to inspire us, to ignite our passions. They did just that:
- Principal Jon Konen reminded us that we can all be WILDCARDS if we:
–Have an insatiable positive attitude;
–Have the ability to create strong and kind relationships with others; and
–Have the courage to persevere.
- Educator Tammie Hickey focused on what the Adult Education Program and all of the rest of us have in common: LEARNING (Listening, Engagement, Attitude, Reflection, New Connections, Innovation, Narrators of our Future and Grit). She also dared us to have the BEST YEAR EVER!
- Student Zach Schermele reminded us that we each have a life to live and challenged us to go out and make the best of it! I can hardly wait to see what his future life holds!
- Teacher Angie Pompa reminded us that the reading of children’s books is not only a great way to model literacy but also a great way to shape mindsets. She read What Do You Do With a Chance by Kobi Yamada. You know what she taught us? That taking chances can be the start of something incredible.
- Community member Mary Moe pointed out that there is no more important job in the world than being an educator. She said, “Every day for the next 180 school days you have the opportunity to change a life. Every day you have the opportunity to switch on a light for someone stumbling through darkness. Every day a chance to change someone’s No into Yes, to be the somebody at school who makes a child feel like somebody at school. Every day, the opportunity to shape the community of tomorrow. Every day, the opportunity to hear America singing, to make the song beautiful, and to help every single young American in your classroom find his or her own voice in that song.”
Even now, as I reflect on the words of these passion igniters, I get goosebumps. I am ready to take this chance to be the wildcard, to live this life, to start with yes instead of no…to make it the best year ever!
Here’s to Great Falls Public Schools! Here’s the humans that make it great! Here’s to passion ignited!
Take care. Be safe. Stay well.